January 7, 2012
Just 12 months ago I said I hoped to achieve the below by the start of
- Blog at an average rate of at least 3 times a month. Result:
achieved. - 48 posts in 12 months, so this target was easily
- Only have 2 programming projects going at the same time. Result:
achieved. - I did this to the letter of the goal, but there were a
couple of abandoned projects along the way. On the plus side, I did
a couple of successful little projects to teach myself game coding
(see my blender page) and now I’m
working on a larger game demo to test out some ideas.
- Complete 2 Blender models. Result: partial. - I did two, a
Roman lamp and a
However, I originally planned to do two completely different (more
complex) models. This difference occurred as I needed to learn the
new Blender 2.5 interface, and then wanted to focus on game models
rather than historical models.
- Decrease net ownership of physical goods. Result: maybe. - I
bought a new computer and it is quite large. Apart from that I have
less, but when included it is about even.
- Run 5km in 27 minutes. Result: not even close. - My foot problem
has not abated all year. A few abortive runs midyear quickly led to
a reoccurrence of the injury and further rest. Only now do I seem to
be back to normal - but I’m yet to properly test it.
- Work less, travel more. Result: achieved. -
some other little holidays.
- Maintain general Ruby and Scala skills. Result: partial. - I’ve
done some Ruby, but no Scala.
For the coming year I have decreased the number of goals, mainly because
there are a few big ones:
- Blog at an average rate of at least 3 times a month. Never more than
4 a month. Historically this shouldn’t be a problem, but I also
don’t want it to become a time sink.
- Complete the game demo and send it out for comments. If the feedback
is not disastrous start working on a full game. This is my main goal
now. I’d also like to do one other project over the year (probably a
- Be able to run. I just want my foot to be completely better so and I
can run without concern, speed is not important.
- Decrease net ownership of physical goods, as always but especially
relevant considering the next goal.
- Leave the UK. Recent events mean this will probably be my last year
in the UK. It took months to organise my move here. I expect a
similar effort this time.
Plus as a nice to do, if I have time:
- Maintain general Blender, Ruby and Scala skills - same as last year.