March 15, 2015
This year I went to the Game Developer’s Conference
(GDC), held every year in San Francisco
(usually sometime in March). I have written about my impression of the
short version is it was both inspiring and depressing. So this post is
just a link to some photos and interesting points.
- In 40 years I have never seen anyone defecate on the street. A claim
I can no longer make after a week in San Francisco - I have now seen it
twice. I will definitely stay in a better area of the city next time I
- Apple laptops were everywhere, spotting a PC laptop was quite a rare
occurrence. Surface tablets were about as common as iPads, and Android
phones outnumbered iPhones.
- A couple of speakers espoused taking your own path in indie game
development and being original, but were introduced as having worked on
anodyne AAA games.
- The Valve expo booth screamed “go away”, I think the designer must
have studied some defensive
- At least 10 expo booths were showing some sort of
VR equipment or
The best photos from the trip are in a short slideshow available